..Because that is where Christ resides and we don't want to ignore where God lives.
In recent weeks we have heard four Christian leaders with a significant platform and voice say, “You can not find God by looking inside yourself.”
This message baffles our minds and breaks our hearts. To be frank, we are deeply concerned how damaging this message is.
If God cannot be found living inside us, tell us then, where else can God be found? Without much hermeneutical effort we are able to recall a handful of key scripture verses that commuicate clearly that Christ is IN us.
Of course, we understand that apart from Christ, looking inward can be futile BUT to say that God can not be found inside us seems to flow from a familiar form of self hatred.
It appears to possibly be an indicator of how distant you believe God must be to you. It’s as if you are announcing, “I love God but I don’t know how to be loved by Him.”
When we hear you say the words, “don’t look within” or “hate/dismiss/disregard the self” we are hearing you announce several frightening things that you should be aware of…
1. You are deeply afraid of what is within.
2. You have not done much internal work.
3. You hate yourself.
4. You are afraid of what you feel.
5. You live predominantly out of your head.
6. You deny your heart.
7. We probably won’t be able to trust you with our heart.
8. You are not safe.
9. You are probably very lonely.
10. You are probably hiding something.
11. You are holding back in relationships.
12. Toxic shame seems to be preaching your sermon for you.
13. Your life is going to unravel and the truth is, you won’t be able recover apart from looking within.
Friends, looking inward is not at all sinful or heretical. However, refusing to do so might be!